The Medicaid and Marketplace Outreach and Enrollment (MMOE) work group designs and implements community-based initiatives that increase enrollment in health insurance plans. Work group activities include:
- Recruiting and training student volunteers to assist with outreach events and enrollment activities,
- Helping work group volunteers and the organizations they serve promote Medicaid and Marketplace health plans on college campuses;
- Educating those who assist with enrollment;
- Tracking Medicaid and Health Insurance Marketplace enrollment at agencies across the county; and
- Distributing flyers to encourage enrollment, particularly among students, immigrants, and small businesses in the Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti area.
During the fifth open enrollment period alone–the shortest open enrollment since the Affordable Care Act launched in 2014–WHI member organizations processed 12,869 Medicaid/Healthy Michigan Plan applications, 465 Health Insurance Marketplace applications, and 150 Health Insurance Assistance Program applications.
In recent years, the federal government has made substantial changes to the funding and organization of outreach, education, and enrollment activities for the Health Insurance Marketplace. These changes have made recent open enrollment periods shorter, have reduced funding for advertising open enrollment, and have reduced funding for staff at local organizations that provide enrollment assistance.
The Medicaid and Marketplace Outreach and Enrollment Work Group has focused on ensuring that these barriers don’t prevent vulnerable populations in Washtenaw County from applying for the health insurance they require.
The MMOE work group members include staff and volunteers from University Health Services, Western Washtenaw Democrats, Washtenaw County Community Mental Health, St. Joseph Mercy Health System, University of Michigan-Flint, and the Washtenaw Health Plan.
For more information
Contact the work group’s co-chairs:
- Alena Hill, Senior Director Pre-Service, Michigan Medicine, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kimberly Hulbert, Manager of Benefit Advocacy, St. Joseph Mercy Health System Ann Arbor, email@example.com
Contact the work group’s staff representative:
- Samantha Iovan, Senior Project Manager, Center for Health and Research Transformation, firstname.lastname@example.org